Wednesday 24 February 2016

Insomniaaaaa, self help?

Welp... I don't think this is the first time I've posted in the middle of the night complaining about insomnia, but yeah, I guess this shit sucks.
It seriously doesn't help that my cycling has drastically reduced, and therefore my lifestyle for the last month or two has become extremely sedate. I was somewhat reliant on having a good draining cardio sport to make me tired enough to sleep, but yeah.........

Perhaps I should go bouldering during the weekday evenings?

Anyhow, while I have like hours to burn. I might as well take this chance to quickly reflect on something I came across on Reddit that has helped me immensely.

View post on imgur.com


This was posted in response to a person losing the motivation to live life to it's fullest. It focuses on helping oneself by following the 4 rules outlined by the picture above:

  1. No more zero days
  2. Forgive oneself
  3. The three you's (or me's!)
  4. Exercise and books (doesn't flow as well as the other 3 points haha).
I now try to ensure that everyday, I update myself on a list of things I need to do, whether it is something like chores, or if it's for my health or something. Doing a tiny bit of something is better than nothing. With a list, I know that I will have to complete them if they are important, so with this, I try to ensure that I do something that will go towards shrinking the list everyday.

Forgiving myself is still something I sometimes have trouble with. It's quite easy to go "why didn't I do that earlier you idiot!", and my life seems to be full of these moments, but I need to carry on and forget about the mistakes I've made, and focus on The Three Me's.

The concept of the three me's (or you's) is probably one that should be taught to everyone from a younger age. Or maybe that's just a waste of time, I dunno. Basically, you forgive your past self for something that has happened, apply the first rule of no more zero days so that future you will be grateful!=D This has helped me have a more sustainable feel of motivation when it comes to fitness, as well as helping me juggle work/life commitments/play. I've not perfected it yet, but it'll take time I guess...

Exercise is something I'm getting plenty of now compared to maybe 4-5 years ago. Now with bouldering, I'm using and building all these upper body muscles that I never knew existed! Most noticeable gainz is my upper back/shoulder muscles are getting definedddd, and my forearms are getting huge as well (compared to the rest of my body anyway, I'm still a walking twig). I still have no gunz though, which I don't really care about. It's useable strength that matters!
I gotta read more books though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment