Thursday 27 October 2011

GT5: Lamborghini Gallardo @ San Galgano

"Why Jihin, I thought you don't like non Japanese cars?"
Well yea... I guess this is an exception. This particular Gallardo is probably one of the first cars that I had properly developed for grip racing, and rightly so, as this was the car that me, Brian and Aaron took on the 4 Hour Nurburgring endurance race around the Type V layout.


Since we decided to do this race, we needed a car that would be able to handle predictably, so that Brian and Aaron would be able to do the 20-30 minute sessions that was required. We knew we were up against an Amuse S2000 GT1 and a HPA tuned Audi TT, so I went off to look for an AWD car. First obvious choice was a Nissan R35 spec V, but it became apparent that there was not enough downforce compared to the rivals. This Gallardo was actually a joint choice between me and Aaron, and so I went to buy it to see what it had.


The first thing that was quite obvious was the amount of downforce that the new bodykit generated. It still wasn't enough, but the fact that it looked so mean after the transformation that we decided to stick with it. Coupled with a set of power upgrades that didn't max out the power output, but to ensure that it exceeds the opposing cars to make up for the deficit of downforce, I was sure that this would be a competitive race machine.


Of course, with this much power, I actually spent a good amount of time adjusting the suspension settings to make the power more manageable. Taking advantage of the AWD system, the power was set to a 50/50 ratio for the front and rear, so that there would be no sudden oversteer. Spring strength, camber and toe were also adjusted, but I left the damper settings because I had no idea what they did. Still no idea what they do, but leaving them seemed like a good decision. A spray of Championship White was applied as a seal of approval, and the car was ready to race....

And so, this was the ridiculous part. I cycled to Aaron's house with the PS3 on my back, since the save file was on my PS3. From there, we cycled to Brian's. We did around 2 hours of the race and then had a pizza break, then went on to finish off the last two hours of the race. It was actually a pretty close race. On the last lap, with the car's tires almost worn down to the canvas, the HUD flickered, and suddenly we were in last place. I was driving the last few laps, and when I saw that I was thinking "....WHAT???" Thankfully when I passed the finish line, the HUD flickered back to 1st.

Man if we didn't come first in that..... We would have had to go through all of that again....xD

No comments:

Post a Comment